Apple is definitely becoming a giant in the SmartPhone Industry. From grasping the attention of tech-lovers who have a thing for photography to regular mobile users who demand high-end innovative features, iPhone 12 seems to stand above the expectation of 99% of Apple Buyers. Believe it or not, but the answer to – Is the iPhone 12 waterproof? is pretty much clear from its tv advertisement. In the ad, the model seems to take underwater pictures with iPhone 12, and it is as good as new. But, how far is the water resistance of the iPhone 12 valid? You will find out in this reading.
In 2021, Apple’s iPhone 12 is in the talk and trending for its extreme features like waterproof and dust resistance. To be honest, Steve Job’s confidence in the latest series of Apple iPhone is worth witnessing. In the past, no smartphone company has claimed features as strong as iPhone 12. No smartphone prior to the Apple iPhone 12 has been shouted out for water resistance. Yet, the potential, as well as existing buyers of iPhone 12, are simply afraid to check the iPhone’s authenticity of water-resistant features. I mean, definitely, no one is going to drop an iPhone 12 in a bucket full of water just to check if the features claimed are valid or not.
Thus, to make the subject of “Is the iPhone 12 waterproof?” much comprehensive for newbies. Let’s take a glance at crucial facts and theories behind this:
Is the iPhone 12 waterproof? Is it really?
Table of Contents
To begin with, upon the commencement of the iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 standard model, and twelve Pro, the first feature that was highly promoted was its power of water resistance. Well! Over the years, Apple’s owner Steve Jobs has claimed “water-resistant” features in iPhone 7 to iPhone 11 as well in the past. Yet, what’s the fuss about the iPhone 12 Pro?
Here’s a fun fact: do you know? iPhone 7 series, the first-ever Apple’s iPhone waterproof series, has only an IP67 Rating. Meaning, the series is only water-resistant, not waterproof. You may be wondering if there’s a difference? The answer is yes. Water resistance is when you take the iPhone in the shower with you, and it comes in contact with some splashes of water. However, it may stumble across no water damage. That is called water resistance.
In comparison, iPhone 12, a series that has IP68 and Apple, claims it to be waterproof. Meaning, if you dive into the swimming pool with iPhone 12 in your hand, it will remain intact. You can indeed take underwater images. Henceforth, there’s no question mark on its compatibility with direct contact in a water body.
But, please note that even though over the years, Apple has accomplished a tough road from being water-resistant to waterproof. Still, iPhone 12 is not 100% waterproof. Again, its IP rating is only 68. Meaning, there are some conditions where the ‘waterproof’ feature of the iPhone holds zero capacity for protection against water damage.
What is IP Rating in iPhone?
IP Rating stands for Ingress Protection Rating. It is a standard level of different ratings in order to define the Smartphone or any other device’s capacity to protect itself against the invasion of foreign bodies. Such as moisture, water, dust, and so on. According to universal research, the iPhone 12 series is among the highest IP Rating phones in the world. Next to it, Samsung Galaxy S20, OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, and others stand in line whose IP Rating is also IP68.
Is the iPhone 12 Waterproof? YES, But there are some do’s and don’ts you must follow
As mentioned before, iPhone 12 IP Rating is only IP68. Meaning, it is not entirely protected against invasion of foreign bodies like water. For example, let’s suppose you drop an iPhone in a bucket full of water no deeper than 20 inches for about 3 seconds. In that case, it will potentially face no damage whatsoever. On the other hand, if you drop your iPhone in a lake, deeper than 20 feet. It will take you time to jump and find it. Henceforth, if the iPhone remains submerged in the lake for more than 30 minutes, it will be water damaged.
Henceforth, there are definitely some barriers and limits bounding you to not over test your iPhone capacity to resist water. Following are Do’s and Don’ts list for iPhone 12 mini, Pro, Pro Max, and Standard model.
Please note that the “Don’ts” of the iPhone 12 are crucial because if you “act” on them, your iPhone 12’s capacity to resist water will decrease over time.
What are the “Don’ts” of the iPhone 12?
- Leaving your iPhone for charging overnight (Fact: iPhone 12 only takes an hour to fully charge. Leaving it for 8 hours on charging can severely damage it).
- Keep using iPhone until the battery is 1% (Fact: iPhone 12 holds strong features. However, it is quite sensitive. If you drain it entirely, it will no longer have optimized battery life in the long run).
- Submerging in water for fun (believe it or not, but people do it, especially YouTubers. However, it’s not entirely safe because the more your iPhone 12 comes in contact with water. The more it will face water damage in the long run).
- Use a non-authentic adapter to charge an iPhone (Yes, it is sad how Apple doesn’t deliver adapters in a box anymore. You are required to purchase it from the store separately for 50 dollars and more. However, purchasing a non-authentic adapter which is very less costly, can do damage).
- Expose the iPhone to extremely dangerous weather (without a doubt, we need to take our phone wherever we go. However, exposing the iPhone when it’s too hot outside. Or, it’s raining or it’s too windy, you may be damaging it).
What are the “Do’s” of iPhone 12?
- Don’t expect your iPhone 12 to resist water each time (given that iPhone 12 is waterproof, it is advised to take care of it as you will take care of any non-water resistant phone. Keep it undercover when you are in the shower.).
- Clean it weekly or monthly (Having to buy a $1000 iPhone 12 is not a joke. It’s your responsibility to maintain its condition. Please clean it at home. Or, take it to a professional iPhone cleaner if possible. Believe me. You don’t want to show off a rugged iPhone in public).
- Avoid using it while eating food or drinking (More often than not, iPhone water damage cases happen when people use it while eating watery food like soup or coffee. Steer clear of such situations).
- Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if not in use (iPhones tend to overheat when all functions are ON. For example, some users keep notifications “ON” for all the applications, including useless ones. Henceforth, we advise you to turn off every function if they are no longer in use).
How to test if my iPhone 12 is waterproof or not?
To begin with, if you are thinking of testing the “waterproof feature” of an iPhone 12 without risking its current fine condition – this is not possible. To test your iPhone 12, you can use the following instructions:
- Take a bucket full of water.
- Hold your iPhone 12.
- Submerge it into the bucket for 5 seconds.
- You can open an iPhone camera underwater and take a picture.
- Take your iPhone 12 out. Dry it.
- It will not manifest any water damage.
Please note that these instructions are not provided by Apple’s official experts. Henceforth, don’t use this guide if you are unsure whether your model is water-resistant or not. Before doing so, contact Apple customer care and enquire about it.
Does Applecare cover iPhone 12 water damage?
When you purchase Apple’s product, whether it’s iPhone 12 or macOS Air or Pro, it comes with a one-year warranty. However, please note that this automated warranty doesn’t cover products damaged by exposure to liquid. Meaning, while testing “is the iPhone 12 waterproof?” if you end up damaging it, the Apple store or authorities will not compensate for repairing it. As a consequence, you will either have to purchase another one. Or simply pay for the damages.
In comparison, Applecare Plus Protection also does not cover water damage, even if it comes under accidental damage. You will be required to pay $50 to get water damage repairs under Applecare Plus protection.
How to tell if my Apple iPhone is water damaged?
This is one of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone owners on the internet. According to our research, only 20% of users actually take underwater photographs. Other than that, 80% of users are still afraid and don’t believe that the iPhone 12 is waterproof. So, there’s a simple test you can take in order to tell if your iPhone has water damaged or not. Here’s how:
- Each iPhone 12 model contains LCI.
- It turns red when the water has entered your iPhone 12 internal structure and is doing damage.
- To check LCI’s colour, you have to remove the SIM Card.
- Open the sim slot and use micro glass to check whether LCI is white or red.
- In case it is white means that your iPhone is entirely protected against water.
- If it is red, it means that it has damaged.
What to do next?
In conclusion, we will advise you to reach out to the nearby Apple Store to get your iPhone 12 checked for water damage. In the event that you have not deliberately risked your iPhone’s condition, you will get the repair service for free. Thus, our answer to “is the iPhone 12 waterproof” is that YES, iPhone 12 is indeed waterproof. But, please note that intentionally submerging it in water can do damage so, if you want to simply take it in the shower with you and keep it in a dry place to play songs, go ahead, do it. Yet, please make certain that you do not expose it to extreme water pressure.
In the past, Apple has been coerced to face criticism from Smartphone developers in other countries. Rumour concerning Apple falsifying claims of being 100% waterproof to improve its sales in the market are not new. henceforth, we advise to take the risk of testing your iPhone 12 water resistance capacity under water at your own risk. Or, checkout videos on YouTube to confirm what you are doing is safe or not. We hold no responsibility if your iPhone 12 faces any water damage after going through the above-mentioned test.