Do you find it hard to clean up disgusting blocked drains when help doesn’t come cheap? With the rising cost of living, it is definitely an asset to be able to handle small-time repairs at home. Having a clogged drain is quite a discomforting task to handle. Not only is it an inconvenience to the household, but it also increases the chances of infections and diseases, as bacteria and germs swarm the drain.
Right from clogged hairs to foreign objects that could have accidentally fallen into the drain, you might also have grease and other gunk blocking the drain. Here, we will discuss how to handle five common drain clogs with effect, without causing extra damage to your drain pipes or the drain system.
- Hair Clogged Drains: Hair clogging up in the drains is definitely something one cannot control entirely. Hair fall is a common condition especially among women, and it does not cause much problem until it collects and ends up clogging the drains. However, the only solution is to remove the hair from the drain, which can be a pretty disgusting task to do. But with the usage of gloves and drain spiders, hair can be easily removed from the clogged drain.
What you need to avoid is the use of cheap chemicals that guarantee to unclog hair blocked drains. These can affect the pipelines adversely and erode the drain grate too. So, it is of great importance to remove the clog before reaches the pipes. Because there, it will go beyond reach and will cause a larger blockage which would need professional expertise and equipment.
- Plant Waste and Other Dirt Blocks: Collection of natural debris is pretty common and an unavoidable instance in drainage systems. Fallen leaves, debris that the wind blew down, and common dirt and dust, are part of a lawn that can cause such clogging in the drains. Since these are larger debris, they can cause a severe block of the drains and they can build up over time to cause even more trouble.
So, keeping your plants well-watered can prevent their roots from reaching out to the drain for moisture and ultimately crack down the pipes or lead to blocked drains.
- Toiletry Build Up: Good sanitary health is not only healthy for the body, but to the surroundings too. It is important to dispose-off toiletries such as diapers, baby wipes, tissues, toilet rolls, etc. into allocated dust bins, rather than allowing them to collect in the drain, causing further infections and swelling due to water absorption, leading to even worse blocked drains. In such an event, it is advised you find a qualified plumber who can clean up your drain hygienically and ensure a safe and healthy drain system going further.
- Broken Pipe Blockage: Sometimes, the drain pipes can break due to severe weather conditions or plant root infestation. A break in the pipeline can also lead to a further block in the drain, sometimes even out of the vicinity. Under such circumstances, having a professional or a technician check-up the plumbing or drain lines would give you better leverage to clear the blocked drains.
- Ugly Grease Build Up: Grease and fat build-up in the drain is much similar to hair clogging up the drain. Most greasy and fatty substances that tend to get flushed down the pipes will only stick to the pipes rather than getting passed into the pipeline. The blockage caused can be to such an extent that even liquids will not be able to pass through the drain. To avoid grease from causing blocked drains, refrain from washing fatty or greasy substances down the drain. Removing such blockage will require the use of harsh and dangerous chemicals that can effectively break down the fatty build-up, but cause some damage to your drainage system.
Although there are methods to unclog drains both by yourself and with the help of professionals and experts, it is useful to follow simple rules to prevent your drains from getting clogged in the first place. This not only promotes a healthy environment, but also helps to prevent blocked drains from ruining your plumbing or laying down further expenses to get them cleared. So, follow the above-mentioned tips and keep your drains clean.