Regardless of which one you choose, extensions enable you to enhance the texture of your natural hair. Whether you want something low maintenance or something more breathtaking for a particular occasion, human hair extensions are the best beauty tools.
But there are so many extensions available in the market with installation methods, maintenance, and advantages and drawbacks; it can be challenging to understand which one is suitable for you!
We’ll go over the different types of hair extension installation methods so you can make an educated decision.
What Are The Different Hair Types Extensions?
Hair extensions are categorized into two types; temporary or semi-permanent.
Temporary Hair Extensions
Halo, ponytail, and clip-in extensions fall under the temporary category because these extensions can be installed and removed at any given time. These temporary hair extensions are beginner-friendly and do not require professionals for installation or removal.
Permanent Hair Extensions
Whereas sew-in, micro links, and tape-in hair extensions fall under the semi-permanent category and should be installed and removed by professionals.
Now, let’s get into the hair extensions mentioned above.
Halo Hair Extensions
Before and after halo balayage hair extension
Unlike other extension methods that use glues or weaves and put a strain on your follicles, halo hair extensions are not attached to your hair. Instead, halo extensions rest on your head, and an invisible wire keeps the extensions in place.
These temporary extensions are known to be the least damaging and the quickest way to transform your look!
Durability: Depending on how frequently halo extensions are worn, they will last 6-12 months.
Installing Halo Hair Extensions
You can install halo hair extensions in 3 easy steps:
- Begin by tying a section of your hair at the crown into a top knot. Leave the front sections out for blending and styling.
- Position your halo extensions over the top knot. Lower the halo extension until it is comfortably and firmly positioned over your ears.
- Undo your topknot and let it fall over the weft. Using a rattail comb, draw sections of hair over the halo until it is entirely hidden. Comb your hair and extension to blend, and you are ready to style your way!
Advantages Of Halo Extensions
- Apart from being incredibly easy to install and remove, halo extensions are one of the fastest ways to transform your look!
- These extensions can be adjusted and customized for the perfect fit. The invisible wire is adjustable.
- Halo hair extensions are a safe way to add incredible length and volume.
Drawbacks Of Halo Extensions
- Buns and ponytails are not achievable with halo extensions.
- Halo extensions won’t blend properly with short hair or bluntly cut hair.
Clip-In Hair Extensions
A set of clip-in extensions
You probably have come across the best balayage clip-in hair extensions. Clip-ins have been a favorite among women choosing temporary methods to switch up their style.
Clip-in extensions usually come in a set with 5-10 pieces. Since they are temporary extensions, you can easily install them at home. A full set of clip-in extensions offers versatility, volume, and length.
Durability: Clip-ins, if worn frequently, will last anywhere between 6-8 months.
Installing Clip-In Extensions
These are 3 easy steps to install clip-in extensions at home:
- Brush your hair to remove tangles and section your hair, starting from the back.
- Tease the roots of the section and open up the clips from the extension.
- Place the extension on the teased roots and snap the clips to secure it. Use the same two steps for full installation and finger-comb to blend them.
Advantages Of Clip-In Extensions
- Clip-ins are favored because they are easy to install, remove, and are commitment-free.
- Installation does not require heat or glue and is beginner-friendly.
- Clip-ins are easy to maintain.
Drawbacks Of Clip-In Extensions
Clip-in extensions are unsuitable if you have thin hair, and it will be difficult to conceal the weft.
- Frequently using clip-ins in the same spot will strain your roots and could potentially cause hair loss.
- Similar to halo extensions, updos are not achievable.
Ponytail Hair Extensions
Gorgeous and voluminous ponytail
Ponytail extensions are the perfect alternatives for women who want to enhance their ponytail skills in minutes, like a true hair extensions pro!
Ponytail extensions are the simplest ways to give fine or thin hair more volume and length.
You can even find ponytail balayage hair extensions to amplify your color-treated hair!
Durability: A high-quality ponytail extension will last up to a year with proper maintenance.
Installing Ponytail Hair Extensions
These are the steps to install a drawstring clip in long ponytail hair extensions. Drawstring ponytail extensions have become increasingly popular due to the ease of installation.
- Begin by tying your hair into a ponytail; you have the choice to tease your hair before putting it into a ponytail for a bouncier look.
- Place your drawstring ponytail extension over the ponytail you created and secure the clips. Follow it up by pulling the drawstring to secure the extension.
- Use a section of hair and wrap it around the base for a seamless look.
Advantages Of Ponytail Extensions
- Ponytail hair extensions are ideal for a busy female who wants a quick style that adds volume to her ponytail.
- Installing and removing them is quick, easy, and free of heat or glue.
- Ponytail extensions are low maintenance.
Drawbacks Of Ponytail Extensions
- Styling is limited to various ponytails and buns.
- Prolong use of ponytail extensions can result in traction alopecia.
Tape-In Hair Extensions
Tape-in extensions are a terrific alternative if you’re searching for something that will stay longer. They’re designed to ‘live’ in your hair for longer and can be maintained and styled just like your actual hair.
With the sandwiching method, the best tape-in human hair extensions provide length and volume to your fine hair.
Since tape-ins are semi-permanent, they should be installed by professionals unless you are a seasoned extension wearer. It is also important to note that tape-in extensions need to be readjusted between 4-6 weeks because your natural hair grows, the tape will be pushed downwards.
Durability: Tape-ins can be reused for up to a year after installation.
Installing Tape-in Extensions
Here are the steps to installing tape-in hair extensions
- The installation begins vertically from the back and moves upward. Leave a section of hair and clip the rest up. Peel and attach a weft of tape-in over the section and press it to the hair. Ensure it’s not too close to the roots and that you leave an inch or two on the sides– it will help conceal the tape and make blending and styling easier.
- Lift the taped section to attach another weft of tape-in and sandwich your hair.
- Continue installing the tape-in horizontally and unclip your hair as you go.
- Once you are done with a full installation, trim and style the hair.
Note: To let the tape-ins dry and adhere properly, do not wash your hair for 48 hours after installation.
Advantages Of Tape-In Extensions
- Tape-ins are ideal for women with thin hair.
- The human hair extensions lay flat and provide a natural look.
- The extensions are comfortable and reusable.
Drawbacks Of Tape-In Extensions
- Time-consuming method of installing extensions compared to the ones mentioned earlier.
- High updos and braided hairstyles are not possible.
- Cannot use oil and silicon-based products.
Sew-In Hair Extensions
Body wave sew-in
Popularly known as weaves, sew in hair extensions are a method of achieving length and volume. Your natural hair is braided down, and wefts of hair are sewn onto the braids.
Sew-ins are a great way to protect your natural hair from daily manipulation and promote hair growth.
Women with thick and coarse hair primarily wear weaves, and due to the installation method, it’s not suitable for women with thin hair.
Experienced weave wearers can install sew-in at home, but if you are new to it, it’s best to get it done by professionals and expect to spend 3-4 hours for a full installation.
Durability: Sew-ins after installation last between 6-8 weeks.
Installing Sew-In Extensions
These are the steps involved in installing sew-in hair extensions.
- Sew-in installation should always begin with washed and moisturized hair.
- Your hair will be sectioned and braided down to the scalp. Depending on your preference and stylist’s recommendation, you might also use a net over the braids.
- After the full braid down, using a needle and thread, wefts of hair will be stitched horizontally until the stylist is done with the installation.
Advantages Of Sew-In Extensions
- Sew-in extensions help protect your natural hair and aid hair growth.
- They offer styling versatility while providing a natural look.
- Bundles are available in various textures, colors, and lengths to achieve a unique look!
Drawbacks Of Sew-In Extensions
- The installation is a time-consuming and tiring process.
- When installed incorrectly or too tightly, the extensions will strain your roots.
- Proper care is required to prevent fungus & bacteria, and not removing the extensions on time could result in traction alopecia.
Micro Link Extensions
Microlink in a ponytail
Micro link or micro bead extensions are the way to go if you want an undetectable installation. Tiny metal or copper tubes connect sections of your hair with extensions, which are then sealed with extension pliers.
Irrespective of your hair type, you can get micro link extensions done, but your hair needs to be at least 8 inches long, and your scalp should be healthy.
Micro link extensions are not for you if you suffer from excessive shedding, alopecia, or hair loss. This method has the potential to make things worse.
Durability: Micro link extensions last up to 4-5 months with proper maintenance and frequent salon visits.
Installing Micro Link Extensions
Here’s how micro link extensions are installed
- For micro link installation, first, your hair will be divided into small sections– roughly 30 strands of hair on each section.
- Then, the sectioned hair will be slid through the copper tubes and add I-Tip extensions to the mix.
- Then, the tube will be sealed using extension pliers. Depending on the length and thickness, the entire process takes three hours.
Advantages Of Micro Link Extensions
- The installation method does not require heat, chemicals, or adhesives.
- Micro link extensions are versatile, and you can even wear your hair ponytails and buns.
- Provides a natural result and the tiny cubes are undetectable.
Drawbacks Of Micro Link Extensions
- Micro links are not suitable for short hair.
- They are relatively high maintenance.
These are the different hair extensions, installation methods, and advantages and drawbacks that you need to know about. When it comes to enhancing your style with extensions, the options are endless! So, which one would you choose?
Shop for the best 100 real human hair extensions for your next installation from Halo Couture. They are one of the best in the business and offer a range of extensions in various colors and lengths!